Saturday, April 22, 2006

Reading Week

So once again, I'm bored as hell and trying to fill up some time. Reading Week is useless for people like me. I study the day before the exam. That's my rule. Studying for an entire week? Yeah right. If you need to study for 10 days for one exam, then you either weren't paying enough attention in class or you care too much. So if I haven't spent the week studying, what did I do? Answer: I was busy being pathetic. I sat on my ass for 5 days straight. I became even more attached to my computer than I already was. I have probably spent more time with this computer than any other person in the world. Sad, I know.

I discovered youtube.com, which was created by the same evil genius who created the rest of the internet. His internet has sucked us in and made us completely dependent upon it. When he decides the moment is right, he will exercise one of two options:
1. Launch a secret internet program that is so absolutely amazing that we will all be instantly enthralled. We will be so mesmerized by the new internet that all production will cease. We will be unable to go about our daily lives, leaving him free to take over the world.
2. Completely wipe out the internet. He will remove every last trace of the internet and all of its wonderful technology. We will no longer be able to communicate, read stupid chain e-mail, watch ridiculous videos, check the sports scores, read movie reviews, or any of the millions of mindless things we do on the internet every day. We will all fall into a deep depression over our loss. We will be unable to go about our daily lives, leaving him free to take over the world.

So that's his plan. Anyway, youtube.com is pretty cool. People can post videos on the domain and you can watch whatever you want. Some things are really stupid, like the people who think they are going to make it big in Hollywood by recording themselves singing Backstreet Boys and posting it on the internet. There are also a lot of videos of TV shows that people record and post. This, my friends, is where I got sucked in. I have an addiction disorder. I am addicted to Degrassi: The New Generation. It's pathetic, I know. I have spent an average of 2 hours per day watching Degrassi. That amounts to about 5 episodes per day. I've watched all the way through seasons one and two. I plan on launching to season three tomorrow. Pathetic, I know.

I spent an additional three hours per day watching TV and/or movies. I spent about 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night talking to friends online. I spent about 2 hours eating. And I spent another four hours checking e-mail, surfing the web, and sometimes, just staring at my wall. Pathetic, I know. That leaves 11 hours for sleep. This is just a rough estimate, of course. Some days, I only got 10 hours of sleep! So anyway, after 5 days of this, I nearly went crazy. On the sixth day, I finally got my ass up. I actually did my hair and stuff. And I studied. Woo, boy. I went crazy. I finally snapped out of it, so that I could study. I'm living life on the wild side. All that studying helped my exams though.

So 2 exams down, and 3 to go. Let me comment on my first two exams. I felt like I was in high school again. This overmanagement is getting a bit out of hand. Exams are assigned in special rooms. We can't have them in the lecture halls, because that would mean we would be sitting too close to each other. So we have them in the smaller classrooms, with the old-fashioned desks-in-a-row thing. Then they assign you a number, which corresponds to a specific desk. Yes, assigned seating. During the whole exam, you have to keep your ID card on the top right corner of your desk so that during the exam, they can come around and check it and mark you off on their little clipboard. During the two-hour exam, no one is allowed to leave the classroom for the first hour or the last 15 minutes. If you need to use the restroom, you have to sign out when you leave and sign in when you return. And you have to leave your bags lined up against the wall, not next to your desk. WHOA. I wanted to stand up during the whole exam and say, "I'm not a moron. I'm an adult." But that's simply not done in Singapore.

On a funnier note, I got assigned to seat #1 in two of my exams. Apparently, the English and Psychology departments think my last name is "Alyson."

No comments: