Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Birthday Bash

I'm 20! That's crazy. I don't feel any older, yet "twenty" sounds so much older than "nineteen." There's something about the transition from 12 to 13 and then 19 to 20. Maybe we just think these transitions are important because being a teenager sucks. You turn 13, and your youthful ignorance shouts, "Yes! I'm finally a teenager." And probably the next day, you realize it's not all that it's cracked up to be. So when you turn 20, your youthful ignorance shouts, "Yes! I'm not a teenager anymore." Hopefully I won't find out next week that your twenties suck. I'm pretty sure they don't. At least not as much as the teens do.

Anyway, my birthday was pretty cool. I celebrated prematurely because a lot of people were away on vacation on my actual birthday. We started off with a nice Singaporean Italian meal. Pasta Fresca is pretty decent Italian considering, but still, it's not the same. I had some pretty excellent cannolis. But they were made out of bread instead of noodles, so it was sort of like an Italian burrito. Sounds gross, but tastes great. The Rum and Coke Janine made me probably helped in that review. I got cool presents from cool people. That was happy. Janine et al gave me an awesome card with lots of embarassing pictures of me on it. It was very cute. My birthday advice included "Don't try to outdrink Janine: you will LOSE" and "Beware of *Natalie*... you don't like fluids, but she likes to share them!" Haha... inside jokes are so funny to me and so boring to my hypothetical readers.

Our next stop post-dinner was karaoke. The first place was a bust. Their version of karaoke was to sit around their bar singing to the radio. No song list, no microphone, nothing. So we bounced and headed to our next stop in Boat Quay. That was slightly more entertaining.

The song list:
"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia - Natalie, May, and yours truly
"Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!" by the Venga Boys - Natalie and May attempted this song but didn't entirely pull it off. That's because this is a difficult song to sing and it's lame.
"We Will Rock You" by Queen - Chirag made a valiant effort with the verses, and both he and Erik chimed in for the chorus. Most excellent.
"Eternal Flame" by the Bangles - My solo debut. Might I say, I rocked. JG tried to sing too, but he didn't know the words. I think he got some nice harmony in, though.

There were a few more songs, but I don't remember them. Seeing us we were the only ones singing in the whole place, I'm sure we annoyed the hell out of the Singaporeans. We ran out of time though and left before JG and I could sing our songs. Too bad; it would have been great. We so kindly left Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys for the rest of the bar to enjoy.

Next stop: dbl o. Surprised? You shouldn't be. I'm so sick of that damn club. But it was the closest club around, and nobody wanted to take any taxis anywhere else. And since some people skipped out on the karaoke, it was an easy place to meet up after. I'm proud of myself for not getting completely smashed. In fact, I was quite sober by the time I got home. It was a relatively uneventful night, though. I've had better stories. But it was still fun. Being the total loser I am, I pooped out first. Despite being the birthday girl, I was utterly exhausted. I wasn't even dancing anymore. I was just standing in the middle of the dance floor kind of bobbing up and down. I mean, I guess it looked similar to some guys I've seen "dancing." But still, it was painful. No rhythm, no dancing, and no vision as I was pretty much sleeping on my feet. Janine saw me and was like, "Hey, are you ready to go or something?" Friends are cool. They leave the club early with you when you're too tired to stand up. It wasn't even that early, though. The club closed a half hour later.

So fun birthday. Drinking, dancing, singing... there's not much more a girl could ask for.

No comments: